The age-old discussions of why we remove armpit hair and hair from other body areas is one that seems to stick around, with people from all genders and backgrounds looking for quick and easy ways to achieve that 'just shaved' feeling. We explore why it is that people feel it is important to remove hair from their bodies and some of the methods they choose to do it:
Why do we have armpit hair?
Armpit hair is still a feature that many people choose not embrace, despite all humans having it naturally. But why do we still grow hair under our arms? Let’s take a look at the science behind why armpit hair grows, some suggestions are:
- Amongst other theories, studies show that over time, armpit hair helped reduce the friction between our arm and body and;
- Also helped with temperature regulation.
There is also a global trend associated with femininity and athleticism that apparently a smooth underarm brings. Let’s face it, when it comes to talking about unwanted hair, legs are an area that is talked about quite freely, but sometimes it can be seen as taboo to talk about more private parts of our body, like armpits.
With recent strides for gender-equality at the forefront of many fashions and social media campaigns, it’s no wonder that movements such as #freethenipple and #dyedpits have been trending across the globe.
Underarm skin sensitivity
The underarms can be a sensitive area, which is why we should take care when choosing how to remove hair from this area. Shaving is the most common form of hair removal. However, if you intend to have hair-free armpits, all day, every day, then shaving mightn’t be the best option for you. Shaving only cuts across the hair, giving short-term results of up to two days.Unfortunately, repeated use of a razor could cause irritation.
How to remove your underarm hair
- A different short-term solution to shaving that you could consider is depilatory creams, such as the Veet BodyCurv Hair Removal Cream. This hair removal cream is suitable for sensitive skin and has a curved applicator, perfect for your pits. However, ensure you do a patch test in case of sensitivity. By dissolving the protein in the hair just below the surface of the skin you are able to wash away the residue and hair easily. Although results may be short-term, they last longer than shaving.
- Waxing is a form of epilation, which means it removes hair from the root. You can have smooth underarms for up to four weeks, pulling out the hair entirely with Veet wax. Choose Veet wax strips for a ready to use solution, or warm wax for longer-lasting, professional results in your own home.
How to achieve perfect underarm hair removal results
It’s also worth keeping these tips in mind to achieve perfect results:
- Before using, patch-test on a small area of your skin which you wish to treat. Follow all the instructions on the leaflet and if there isn’t an adverse reaction within 24 hours you can continue to use the product. Development times for our hair removal creams vary depending on the product variant. Cream for normal and dry skin take 3 to 6 minutes to work, while our cream for sensitive skin takes 5 to 10 minutes. Be sure to follow the pack instructions carefully, making a note of the specific development time.
- If you are using wax strips, you can even cut them to size for those harder to reach or more delicate areas.
- Hair grows in two different directions under your arms so remember that you need to apply the product in two different stages for each direction of hair growth.
- No one wants to deal with ingrown hairs! Exfoliate 24 hours before using Veet and wear loose clothing after to help avoid them developing.
- To maintain beautiful underarms and avoid irritation, don’t use scented products (like deodorants), go swimming, sunbath or use a tanning bed for at least 24 hours after hair removal.
Lastly, love your pits!
While attitudes are always changing when it comes to beauty and fashion trends, so too is the range of hair removal products we can choose from. Whether you grow it, dye it, or go for the smooth and silky look, the main thing you need to do is to love you and your body. No matter what you do, love your pits!